On August 16, 2018, the government introduced two new ways to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form: a mobile-friendly version of the fafsa.gov website and a mobile app.12
These two improvements will make it easier for students and parents to access and complete the FAFSA form on the device that works best for them, with a particular focus on improving the experience on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Redesigned, Mobile-friendly FAFSA® Website
The fafsa.gov website has an updated look with new colors and has been redesigned so that the site pages will fit the screen size and shape of any device, including desktop or laptop computers and mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets. You can now complete the FAFSA form on a mobile device with the same ease as on a desktop or laptop computer.
The new design of fafsa.gov also offers the following features:
- The “Help and Hints” display box has been replaced by “tool tips” that provide information about each FAFSA question.
- While the number of questions on the FAFSA form remains the same, the questions are displayed in a more user-friendly way, with some now grouped in a different order to ease navigation through the site.
Now Available: FAFSA® Completion on myStudentAid Mobile App
Federal Student Aid announced that students and parents may now download the myStudentAid app from both the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). The myStudentAid mobile app will provide the following functionality:
- myFAFSA: complete the FAFSA safely and securely from your mobile device
- Profile: edit/manage an FSA ID
- myFederalLoans: view federal student loan and aid history
- gov: access FSA’s signature source of information on student financial aid products, processes, and services
- Contact information for FSA’s contact centers
Making the FAFSA form accessible through a mobile device provides students and their parents with improved options for completing the form. myFAFSA’s ability to customize the experience based on a specific role also makes it easier for students and parents to understand and complete the form. Also, students and parents will have the ability to complete the FAFSA form on any device that they prefer.
Note: This beta version of myFAFSA does not offer all of the same features as fafsa.gov. An enhanced version of myFAFSA will be released this fall and will include additional functionality.
###Larry W. Marvin
LifeCrafter- Money $ense
In the future, Federal Student Aid will post an announcement including a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation containing information and screenshots about myFAFSA.
To download the app, visit Google Play or the Apple App store at the links provided below.
Apple App Store:
Federal Student Aid, a department of the U.S. Department of Education: https://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/072418TheFAFSAFormisGoingMobile.html